Just One Day

Just One Day - Gayle Forman

I had to take quite a bit of time to gather all of my thoughts together for this one. It was just that good…and that emotional.

Just One Day was one of those reads that the moment you start from the first line, you KNOW it’s going to be special. It’s like all the breath rushes out of you from the first sentence, and then you’re glued to the pages because you can’t stop reading--you won’t stop reading--until you find out what it is about the book that suddenly has you in its grasp.

Then you meet the characters, see their world, share their moments. This book took control of me. Once I started reading, I couldn’t stop. I found myself immersed into Allyson’s adventure in the beginning. The feelings that jumped from the pages were electric, and the emotions through the rest of the book were heart-wrenching. Reading the synopsis, you may think it’s going to be about some lovey-dovey, cheesy Shakespearean-themed romance. It’s not. This is more about tragic loss and need. The need to find oneself. Love lost and cherished. Adventure. Memories. It’s deep and thought-provoking. These characters and the messages throughout will grab at your heart.

I still can’t properly form my thoughts as to how much I loved this book. I’m looking forward to the companion, Just One Year, when I can revisit some of the characters-as well as Willem to get his story. Also, quite obviously, I need to definitely read more of Forman’s work.