The Book of Blood and Shadow

The Book of Blood and Shadow - Robin Wasserman You can also find my review at my blog, The Bookaholic: http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.comI haven’t read a great historical, thrilling mystery since The Da Vinci Code. Sure, I’ve read some good ones- some I’d recommend- but absolutely brilliant, fantastic, hold-your-breath and put you on the edge of your seat type story that may have even put Mr. Dan Brown to shame? No. Not until I picked up The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman. This was YA, too, and by the time I finished reading, I was smiling like an idiot… As if I had found a lost treasure among a mysterious city that I had magically been transported to. And I'd like to make a small note before I continue, I was in no way trying to put down The Da Vinci Code. I really enjoyed that book when I had first read it, too. But I liked this one much better if you had to make me choose.How often does a reader get to sit down a say, “I’ve discovered something magical”? I know I don’t get to do this very much. I’ve had the most wonderful reading year, finding some great reads along the way and proudly saying that I haven’t had too many disappointments. Now I sit here also proclaiming that I’ve found one of the best upcoming 2012 compelling masterpieces that you really do not want to miss given the chance.I was instantly hooked from the first page and stayed engaged until the last-- not once wanting to stray from the story, and always wanting to know more about the magnificent characters and amazing history that Robin Wasserman created. I was driven by a number of emotions: sorrow, shock, tenderness, happiness, anger… and the twists and turns kept me constant on my toes, begging me to always keeping the pages turning. The mystery was believable. The horror was awful (not meant in a bad way). And the details were immaculate but not so overdone that you were left with your own imagination, too. I felt an attachment through it all. When the end came, I still wanted more.I must read more of Wasserman’s writing now.Treasure hunting, history, foreign locations, romance, mystery, suspense…. This has it all. I don’t give this rating too often, but The Book of Blood and Shadow certainly deserves it:5 stars!