Unearthly - Cynthia Hand Unearthly has a lot of hype. It’s one I’d been hearing about for quite some time. But it took me a while to finally get to it. Why? The main reason really was because I knew it dealt with fallen angels. And I just seem to have bad luck with this creature when reading. Sure, I really like a few, but I don’t know why it’s so hard for me to get into them. I get wary. Maybe it’s because a lot of cases focus SO much on religion--and well, to be bluntly honest, I’m not a religious person and I dislike preachy books. So to get back to my point: yes, I was wary to pick up Unearthly due to the simple fact that it focused on fallen angels. Also, it had a lot of hype and this gave me some very high expectations. When I did finally break down and read it last month, I’m sad to say that I was sorely disappointed. And this even upset me because I’ve known a few of my friends to really enjoy this series so far. Unfortunately for me, it was barely above average. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy it, because I did, I just didn’t find the greatness in it by the final pages. It was sooo slow, most particularly in the beginning, and didn’t seem to pick up on any kind of interesting action until over halfway through for me. I felt detached and disinterested from Clara most of the time. I wanted to know more about her, who she is as a person, not just her purpose all the time. And I was disgusted with Christian. How could she have even been interested in the boy was beyond me. So he looked good? So what. He was not only a jerk, but she hardly knew a thing about him. Yet she kept focusing on him, completely ignoring anyone else who was better suited and treated her much better. Even when he pulled a jerk move (not going to say because I don’t want to put a spoiler), she pined over him, whining, and then forgave him? Only for him to leave later. Nuh uh. That’s what annoys me about a lot of romances nowadays, seriously. I did like Tucker very much, and that was the (thankfully) turning point of the story. I have a soft spot for country guys sometimes…and the description alone of Tucker made me drool. I was glad that Clara wised up to him later. The action was paced a bit slowly, and I think this is where the story fell flat for me. It took a while for me to get into it because of this. Toward the end, it picks up and I breezed through the pages. I enjoyed the author’s details and descriptions, and was really intrigued by the mythos of the fallen angels for the back story. I was left in the end still wanting more, so I’m sure I’ll still continue on to the second book in the near future. It wasn’t the highlight of my year, but it certainly wasn’t bad. And P.S. The picture of the cover just doesn’t do it justice. You have to see it in person. It’s stunning.3.5 stars!