Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs Review also found at http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.comMiss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children was not what I had expected when first going into it. I thought I was going to get a creepy, haunting tale of ghosts and monsters and things that go bump in the night, but instead something entirely different. Perhaps I had assumed too much from reading the synopsis and making accusations from the cover. This wasn’t a bad thing, though. The story I did end up getting was quite an unique experience overall and adventure. Even better, the ending left on a note to tell me that this is going to be a series and there’s going to be a sequel. I’m looking forward to it. What I most particularly liked was the history put into it. The backdrop of World War Two that started many of the story’s events. With the history alone, I would have been satisfied and wouldn’t have needed the tagging pictures scattered here and there among the pages whenever characters made reference to something. In the beginning, I liked the pictures. They were fascinating, vintage, a bit of an experience to look at. But the feelings of them didn’t last too long. In fact, toward the end, I admittedly started getting a little annoyed with the photos and the occasional “looked at the picture and saw such-and-such”, then having to turn the page to see it. At times, I felt it detached away from the good story that I was reading. The characters were wonderful. I loved the sarcasm and wittiness some of them displayed. I had some laugh-out-loud moments. I loved how the author told the POV through a male perspective, too. We don’t see this too often in YA as you all know, and when we do, it can still be hard to come across properly. Ransom Riggs did fantastic in my opinion giving a sixteen-year old male POV. Which of course, he should have, because I’m sure he was sixteen once, too. Haha!While I wasn’t a big fan of the romantic interest in this one, it was subtle and very light. It’s possible that it could grow on me within the sequel, too. As I was reading this, I kept thinking to myself: This could probably make a good Tim Burton film. It passes for that kind of “good-weird” that I like. Enjoyed and recommend!