Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor There was no doubt in my mind that Daughter of Smoke & Bone was probably one of my favorites last year. It’s a rare occasion for me to go out and buy a brand new, just-released book due to hype, but I felt an instant pull to it and I’m glad I’d given it that chance. I think it’s well worth the hype. So, needless to say, I grew antsy the last year waiting for the sequel to come out so I could just find out what’s going to happen to our blue-haired heroine and this strangely unique angel-being of hers. I was nervous. I get this condition I call “second book syndrome” almost too easily when it comes to series. I often find it hard to continue a series because of this, unless the sequel is just as good as the first…or better. And I didn’t want my awe from Daughter of Smoke & Bone to be taken away with a bad sequel. I was terrified of disappointment, but I went rushing right to it anyway. Days of Blood & Starlight did disappoint me in some ways. Unfortunately, I can’t go into many details. I want to stay spoiler-free, and that can be difficult when it comes to reviewing sequels. I can say this: the writing style felt different from the first page. Perhaps it had a lot to do with the new style in general. Days is told in a few POVs from characters, rather than only Karou’s like it’d been in Daughter. The writing itself is still beautiful and crafty, very visual, but it’s slow. That’s a warning. It takes time and patience with this one before you may find yourself back into the story. It took me almost two hundred pages before I finally started to truly devour the book. I can understand any frustrations a reader might have if their book is slow-going in the beginning. But hang tight. Once it gets there, it really gets there. And then you’re off with a bang into Taylor’s amazing characters and world-building all over again. By the end, I found myself wondering if I liked Days better than Daughter, and I honestly can’t answer the question, even now…weeks after I’ve finished reading. Days felt different to me on some levels, but in a good way. It was thought-provoking. I learned to love new characters. I lost some and felt a deep heartache. I laughed. I cried. I learned. If you enjoyed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, don’t miss out on Days of Blood & Starlight. It’s completely worth it.