Fracture - Megan Miranda Review also found on the blog: http://the-bookaholic.blogspot.comWell, it’s official. I have a bit of a soft spot for some YA Contemporary now, though I’m still a bit nit-picky and it’s hard for me to get into it all of it. Baby steps, people, baby steps. At least the few contemporaries I’ve read this year haven’t been disappointing, and they’ve only had me wanting to read more into the genre. Fracture wasn’t all contemporary. It had a slight paranormal edge to it, but not in the creature kind. More in a mental kind of way-- clairvoyance, perhaps? A psychic ability of some sort that Delaney developed. I really liked how the author described Delaney’s senses during moments. The emotion was chaotic and realistic, and the writing was smooth. I read through Fracture in less than a day because I absolutely could not put it down. It’s one of those books that keeps you on the edge of your seat and you constantly want to know what’s going to happen next.I had some minor nitpicks though. I didn’t like how Delaney’s mother was characterized. There was something just… off… about her quite often. I understood her issues and all- but I didn’t get the whole sudden mood shift from caring mother to depressed/neglecting/angry and then back to caring. It felt forced and in a way, unrealistic to the storyline. I also saw the ending coming a mile away. Maybe too much foreshadowing. Nonetheless, I was engaged thoroughly, intrigued, and enjoyed it. It’s refreshing to read a stand-alone that doesn’t feel like it’s left an open-ended ending with well-crafted details and characters. Fracture is definitely one to look for in 2012.